I created this recipe when i wanted that wonderful gingerbread taste in a cupcake.
I didnt want the heavy, stickiness of a true gingercake though so i combined a light cupcake recipe with the flavourings and some of the ingredients of my favourite gingerbread recipe!
These came up lovely and were a perfect cross-over between aromatic gingerbread and soft, springy sponge cupcakes.
Here’s what i did.
135g/3oz plain flour
135g/3 oz self raising flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
225g/8oz demerara sugar
110/4oz unsalted butter (melted)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tbsp golden syrup
1/2 tbsp of treacle
50ml/ 2 fl oz milk
1tsp ground cinnamon
2tsp ground ginger
1 pinch of ground cloves
(the bottom three ingredients can be added to taste depending on how spiced you want your cupcakes to be.)
1. Preheat the oven to 180oc/350of/Gas 4. Linea 12 hole non stick muffin tin with your favourite cupcake paper cases.
2. Sift the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and ground clove into bowl.
3) Add the melted butter, sugar, eggs and milk to the dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
4) Add the treacle and golden syrup to the batter and beat again until everything is mixed.
5) Divide the mixture between your cases (each should be 3/4 full) Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Why not try spiced ginger buttercream or maybe set it off with a cream cheese frosting.